The Ynot Lot is an outdoor event venue located on the corner of North Avenue and Charles Street in the heart of the Station North Arts & Entertainment District. Through community gatherings and public events, the Ynot Lot encourages daily encounters with art, performance, and design events that are created by a range of local and national cultural organizers. Individuals and groups of any experience level are invited to propose events for the Spring, Summer, and Fall 2017 season. This year, we are encouraging projects that center social justice, intergenerational and cross-cultural collaboration, daring arts and cultural work, and youth-run or youth-oriented events. Our aim is to accommodate as many rigorous events as is possible during the Ynot Lot’s active season.
What does Station North provide?
The Ynot Lot is approximately 6,000 square feet and features a 16’x20’ stage attached to a shipping container, both of which may be used for performance and storage. Aside from the FREE physical space, Station North is able to provide a power generator, temporary storage, a certain number of tables, chairs, and tents, promotional support, support in obtaining event permits, and advice along the way at no cost.
What am I responsible for?
As an organizer, you will be responsible for Ynot Lot clean up after your event, obtaining of any event permits, security, and insurance (if needed).
Applicants are urged to consider the following:
- Accessibility, active pedestrian involvement, and overall impression to passerby
- Activation and animation of the space during various times of day
- Other events in the neighborhood
- Public art installations must consider issues of durability, vandalism, and theft. Installations should not introduce hazards of any kind for pedestrians or Ynot Lot users.
- Performances should consider noise levels on North Avenue and North Charles Street, as well as City noise ordinances
- Event must be open to the public, and if possible, free
- Preliminary ideas have included music festivals, opera, luaus, bingo nights, movie screenings, outdoor chess, table tennis, and temporary sculpture. If you have an idea, we’d love to hear about it!
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Please submit your application at least one month prior to your proposed date for your event. Keep in mind that most event permit applications take at least 2-3 months to process.
The Ynot Lot is managed by Station North Arts & Entertainment, Inc. Project partners include Johns Hopkins University, The Abell Foundation, T Rowe Price Foundation, Central Baltimore Partnership, Midtown Community Benefits District, Maryland Institute College of Art, Jubilee Baltimore, Southway Builders, Charles North Community Association, and the Cheng Family.
If you are interested in supporting the Ynot Lot and Station North’s other projects, please donate here.